Sunday, September 30, 2007

Amish Baked Oatmeal

When I was innkkeeping at the B&B I made this often. Everyone who tried it loved it.

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 T baking soda (or powder-either turns out well in this dish, I tend to use soda)
2 eggs
1 t salt

Cream together shortening and sugar. Then add eggs, soda, and salt.

Alternately add:

1 cup milk
2 1/2 cups oats (you can add more to your taste)

Optional: you can add nuts or fruit.

Pour in baking dish and spread cinnamon and brown sugar over the top to your taste.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

Serves 2-4.

10 comments:

Rick said...

Isn't it a bit of an oxy-moron to post an Amish recipe online, just a bit of a brain teaser I guess.

MarciaAnne said...

Yes, that is part of the fun!

Rick said...

Is it supposed to be a tablespoon soda cause that seems to be a bit much, let me know?

Rick said...

Well, I called mom and she told me it is supposed to be a tablespoon of baking powder not sody. So i corrected that for ju. It is very good.

Ron and Tiffany said...

What size baking dish?

MarciaAnne said...

For the posted amount I use either an 8"x8" pan or a bread loaf pan. Just depends on if I want it thicker or thinner.

MarciaAnne said...

I am pretty DANG SURE that I use baking soda and it turns out right. Everyone at the B&B loved it that way. Through thanks for trying to "fix" it. It is now corrected.

Rick said...

I still use baking powder in it, it just taste's better that way.

Becky said...

The recipe I have for this calls for 1 tbsp. baking powder and is baked in a 9x13 pan. Other than that it is the same, so you and Rick are both right. My recipe is called just Baked Oatmeal.

MarciaAnne said...

Last time I made this I tried it with baking powder and it was ok, so you can use either that you want to use. They both come out good.